Thursday, June 13, 2013

Summer Bucket List: Complete a Sewing Project with the Girls


 I am an extremely novice beginning sewer.  Let's be honest, I'm terrible at it.  It's something I want to get better at, but I don't have the patience or desire to be precise.  I don't measure, I don't hem, I just eyeball it all and hope for the best.  Needless to say all of my projects are duds.  That's okay. 

So this summer the girls wanted to work on the sewing machine so I was in search of a super easy project for us to make.  I saw an idea for a tote to make which I figured would be perfect for our walks to the Bookmobile.  It wasn't successful and I couldn't figure out the beginning sewer directions.  :)

Then I found a link to make totes from old t-shirts.  Bingo!  I ran up to the girls closet and found one that they no longer needed. 

Within 5 minutes Allison and I had this bag all sewn up and done.  She was thrilled, I was thrilled...and another item crossed off our Family Summer Bucket List. 

I made one with Chloe too and used a sleeveless t-shirt (size 4T) and it is SO small.  So I strongly suggest using at least a size 6 shirt.  Maybe even a little bigger.  She likes it as a "diaper bag" for her babies but it isn't going to hold very many books especially if they are bigger. 

I did like the sleeveless shirts though because it gives the bag a more finished edge.  It makes the handles smaller though so it all depends on your preferences. 


Complete a Sewing Project with the Girls

No comments:

Post a Comment