Wednesday, June 12, 2013

#978: Egg Cupcakes


I love cupcakes.  I love breaking them in half and then putting the bottom over the top and eating it like a sandwich.  Weird but delicious.  This recipe called out to me because it's healthy AND a cupcake. 

Yeah it's not the same.  Not that I expected it to be by any means, but a girl can still hope right?  :)  I had to change up this recipe a little because it called for putting all of the ingredients into the food processor.  I had visions of pureed veggies floating in my eggs.  No thanks.  So I diced it all up and sautéed the veggies and filled the muffin cups as directed.  These are good.  They are a hearty, healthy, low-carb breakfast.  There's no cheese in them though so they aren't fabulous.  lol   Cheese would have made them better.  And some breakfast sausage. 

I'd make these again but they are okay.  Add cheese and ground sausage.  Then they'd probably be great.


10 – 12 Eggs  (or egg whites)
1 green onion (I omitted)
2 zucchini (I used 1 zucchini)
8 slices of bacon 
1 cup of roasted red and yellow peppers (I used an orange bell pepper)
4 cups of spinach (I used about 1 cup)
Black pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease muffin pans with coconut oil or spray with olive oil.
Whisk all the eggs together in a bowl.  Add black pepper also.

Put green onions, zuchini, bacon and peppers into a food processor and process into finely chopped mixture.  Add the mixture into the eggs.

Next, add the spinach into the food precessor, finely chop.  Add this to the egg mixture.
Mix the egg mixture well.  Using a 1/4 cup fill each spot in the muffin pan (makes 18-20).

Bake the egg cupcakes for 20-25 minutes or until the eggs are set in the middle.

No comments:

Post a Comment