Wednesday, June 26, 2013

#998: Paleo Meatballs in Homemade Marinara Sauce


I am the WORST meatball maker.  My Italian grandma and relatives would be very disappointed in my lack of meatball making skills.  My meatballs come out like very dense golf balls.  I normally bake my meatballs so they are healthier but my very Italian aunt told me I'm basically making meatloaves when I do that.  She said I need to cook them in the sauce.  So when I found this recipe, I decided I would follow most of it, but start the meatballs in a pan and then finish them off to cook in the sauce. 

I don't love these meatballs but they are very good.  They are just lacking flavor.  Next time I'm going to add fresh parsley (I used dried Italian seasoning this time) along with a tiny bit of grated parmesan. I loved the sauce though.  I will definitely be making that again.

Homemade Sauce:
2 (28 ounce) cans organic stewed or whole tomatoes (I used crushed tomatoes)
1 (6 ounce) can organic tomato paste (I omitted)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or a liberal amount of dried Italian seasoning
I also added 6 fresh basil leaves

Puree ingredients in a blender or food processor.  Heat marinara in a skillet or sauce pan.  Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer uncovered while meatballs are cooking.  Marinara can be cooked ahead and stored in the refrigerator until ready to heat and eat.   


Paleo Meatballs:

2 lbs. lean ground beef
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/4 cup almond flour (or 2 Tablespoons coconut flour)
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
1 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon sea salt

In a large bowl combine all ingredients.  Pull on some latex gloves and mix with hands but do not over process it.  Cover the bowl and allow flavors to marinate in the refrigerator for an hour.  Form into small meatballs (about the size of a ping pong ball).

Preheat cast iron skillet.  Add a dash of olive oil.  Place meatballs in one layer, sides not touching.  Cook them one batch at a time, browning them on all sides.  Use a meat thermometer and cook meat to 160 degrees. (Overcooking causes dryness. Yuck!)  Remove meatballs to an oven proof dish and keep covered in a warm oven until all batches are cooked.  Serve meatballs in marinara sauce and garnish with extra parsley. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment