Sunday, June 9, 2013

#961: Shredded Beef Tacos

This is a terrible, unappealing picture.  Sorry!  I should have taken a photo of someone's actual taco but I forgot!

So I was looking for something to make for a party that wasn't my typical go-to fare: sloppy joes, sandwiches, lasagna, chicken, etc.  I also wanted to make something that I could prep ahead of time.  I thought about grilling but our grill is apparently allergic to wind and if there is a slight breeze it won't light.  I wasn't about to take a chance that we had no food.  So I went with this recipe.  I made the meat in the crockpot 2 days in advance and then just finished it up the day we were eating this.

These are pretty good tacos.  The meat is okay.  If you eat it plain it just tastes like spiced up pot roast meat.  But when put in a taco with your desired toppings it is quite good.


Here is the recipe I used for the shredded beef (aka "leftover pot roast" in the recipe, which I did not have on hand leftover)

1 ½ lbs. chuck roast
1 tsp. canola oil
½ cup beer
½ cup water

Brown meat in oil in large skillet.  Place in crockpot.  Add beer and water and cook on low 8 hours or until meat shreds easily.  PS...I used a 3 lb chuck roast for this recipe.  (In fact for my party I doubled this recipe).

Now here is the recipe for the tacos:
4 cups shredded beef (cooked pot roast)
½ cup hot salsa
1 cup mild salsa
1 cup red onion, chopped

Combine shredded beef, salsas, and red onion in large skillet. Sauté 7-10 minutes, until heated through.

Serve with grilled peppers, tomatoes, cilantro, lime, cheese, sour cream, lime crema (click here for recipe), tortillas, etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment