Monday, June 17, 2013

#987: Baba Ganoush


 
My nephew's nickname is Baba Ganoush.  :)  I asked my brother if he knew what it was and he didn't, so I decided someone in the family should know what it is and I set out to make it.  I was super happy to realize it was made with pureed eggplant (one of my favorite veggies). 

This was so easy to make, and the hardest part is waiting for it to finish roasting in the oven.  Then you throw everything else into a food processor and you are on your way.  This is served wonderfully with pitas but since I'm trying to eat low-carb, that didn't go with my plan.  Instead I ate this with cut up peppers...or maybe just a spoon.  It was delicious.

2 eggplants (2 lbs total)
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling (optional)
1/3 cup  tahini
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Fresh parsley, chopped Pitas

Heat oven to 450 degrees . Trim eggplants and slice in half lengthwise. Sprinkle cut sides with 1/4 tsp of the salt and 1 tbsp of the oil. Place cut sides down on a foil-lined baking sheet. Roast at 450 degrees for 30 minutes, or until eggplant flesh is soft and skin has begun to collapse. Cool slightly. Scoop out flesh and break into bite-size pieces with a fork; discard skins.

Stir in tahini, lemon juice, lemon zest, cayenne, remaining oil and remaining 3/4 tsp salt. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and, if desired, drizzle with olive oil. Serve with pitas, grilled, if desired, and cut into wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment