Thursday, June 20, 2013

#994: Green beans and Broccoli with Bacon-Balsamic Dressing


I had to do a little investigating with this recipe because the measurements were in grams.  And by investigating, I sort of mean guessing and eye-balling.  Isn't that how I cook most recipes anyways though?! 

This is WONDERFUL.  It is so good.  The kids weren't big fans, but they aren't fans of fresh green beans.  Matthew had no interest in his veggies until he sat on my lap and ate out of my bowl, which he proceeded to eat a lot of veggies.  Fine by me if he sits on my lap as long as he's eating something healthy...and not throwing it on the floor or trying to pry my mouth open to see what I'm eating (yes he does that...so gross). 

Run  to the store and get the ingredients for this.  It's good. 


300g green beans, trimmed and blanched (I used 2 ½ handfuls…do you like that precise measurement?!)
2 bunches broccolini, trimmed and blanched (I used 2 broccoli crowns)
50g butter (I used 4 tbsp)
¼ cup olive oil
2 eschalots (French shallots), chopped (couldn’t find shallots today so I used a yellow onion)
3 rashers bacon, trimmed and chopped (what’s a rasher?!  I used ½ lb of turkey bacon)
⅓ cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
sea salt and cracked black pepper

To make the bacon balsamic dressing, place the butter and oil in a medium non-stick frying pan over medium heat and stir until the butter is melted. Add the eschalots and bacon and cook for 5−7 minutes or until the bacon is golden. Add the lemon juice, vinegar, salt and pepper and cook for a further minute. Add the beans and broccolini and cook for 2−3 minutes or until warmed through.

Note: according to Wikipedia a rasher is a slice of bacon.  I pretty much figured that but I thought 3 slices was not nearly enough.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment