Tuesday, June 11, 2013

#972: Roasted Cauliflower with Red Chile, Cilantro & Lime


So I first made this recipe yesterday for my dinner.  It took way too long to cook in the oven, in my opinion, and after about an hour the veggies were definitely soft, but I like mine a little....well, burnt.  So I cranked up the oven temp to 440 and let them cook for another 20 minutes.  The onions pretty much charred but it was delicious.  I was about to post the recipe/picture/review, when I realized I had forgotten the most important step to this recipe: add the lime and cilantro.  DUH!  So I made it all over again tonight to try it the real/right way. 

I do not like spice/heat at all, so I used about 1 tbsp. of chili powder.  You can't taste it at all.  I'm okay with that.  Because of that though, mine is going to taste nothing like the original recipe so if you like heat, add it in.  I don't, so I didn't. 

Surprisingly, I really did enjoy the lime and cilantro in this.  It's not over-powering and sometimes I forgot it was in there until I got a nice bite of cilantro.  I will definitely make this again...and maybe add A LITTLE more chili powder.



1 large head Cauliflower
3 cloves garlic, minced

1 Tbsp Red New Mexico Chile Powder or  Ancho Chile Powder
1/2 tsp crushed dried Red Chile
1 tsp Cumin seeds toasted and ground
4 Tbsp Olive Oil
1/4 cup Cilantro leaves, chopped
1/2 Lime, juiced
Salt to taste

Preheat oven to 325 F. Separate the florets from the Cauliflower.  Put them in a bowl with the garlic, chile powder, crushed chile, cumin, salt & olive oil and toss gently to mix together and coat well.

Spread the seasoned Cauliflower in a shallow roasting pan.  Roast 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until tender, stirring occasionally.  When done, remove from oven.  Dress with lime juice.  Finish with chopped cilantro leaves.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment