Thursday, June 20, 2013

#995: Chinese Stir Fry


Well I made this healthy Chinese stir fry for dinner but my non-veggie eating husband would have never eaten it if he saw it all mixed together so I actually had to pick out all of the chicken pieces and put them in a separate bowl so he wouldn't know the difference (which he did not notice and ate all of it by the way!).  Now I know that sounds a bit ridiculous and I can hear many of you already saying I should have just served it like that anyways and you can't believe I actually picked out the chicken...BUT I did that a little bit for my benefit too.  The chicken was definitely cooking with the veggies but I think the liquid in the veggies was steaming the chicken rather than pan frying it.  I like my chicken with a brown crust.  I truly dislike "white" looking/steamed chicken.  So I pulled it out of the veggies to brown up for me too. 

The chicken was wonderful. The veggies soaked up a little too much of the sauce and was a little salty in my opinion.  I (the non-chicken lover) actually picked out all the chicken pieces and started eating around the veggies.  You know it must have been good then.  I would probably make this again but I will make the chicken in a separate pan to avoid picking it out later and I'll add a lot less of the sauce with this dish.  Other than that, it was good.

3 chicken breasts
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 stick celery, chopped (I omitted)
3 skinned carrots
1/2 white onion, diced
20 edamame
2 Tbsp light soy sauce (the green bottle)
3 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp olive oil
Dash of salt and pepper
Pinch of red pepper flakes
 
Chop up all veggies, except for the edamame, and cut up chicken breasts and season with a bit of salt and pepper.  Set aside.  Heat a skillet on medium heat and add about a tablespoon of olive oil.  Throw veggies into skillet and sauté for about 3 minutes.  Add chicken, soy sauce, lemon juice and red pepper flakes and cook for about 15 minutes or until chicken is completely cooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment