Monday, June 17, 2013

#991: Crunchy Kale Salad


I am not the world's biggest Kale lover.  I enjoy kale chips from time to time, I ocassionally will throw it in my smoothie, but it is so bitter, I usually stay away from it.  When I came across this recipe, I figured it couldn't hurt to give it a try.  I am SO glad that I did.  I truly think this is one of THE BEST salads I've had in a very long time.  I ate 2 bowls of this stuff and may or may not have drank the last few drops of dressing in my bowl.  Yes it was that good.  No, this was fantastic. Try this recipe.  Yum, yum, yum!!

4 cups kale, washed, trimmed, and shredded
2 cups red cabbage, shredded (I used a bag of pre-shredded cabbage)
2 cups green cabbage, shredded (see above, so I omitted)
1 Granny Smith apple, julienned
1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
1 cup almonds, roughly chopped
1 cup dried black currants


Maple orange tahini dressing:
1 orange, juice of (about 1/2 cup)
1 tbsp maple syrup (I used honey)
3 tbsps tahini
pinch of salt
1/3 cup olive oil
lemon juice to taste


Make the dressing: Place the orange juice, maple syrup, tahini, and pinch of salt in a medium bowl and whisk together until blended. Slowly drizzle the olive oil into the bowl in a steady stream while constantly whisking. Add lemon juice to taste. Set aside.


In a large bowl, combine the kale, cabbages, apple, avocado, almonds, and dried black currants. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat. Serves 4-6.


No comments:

Post a Comment