Thursday, June 13, 2013

#982: Country Apple Slaw


You may notice in my picture that the recipe below says to thinly slice the fruit and veggies.  I diced it up.  I don't like big chunks in my salad otherwise I'll just eat it and then have cabbage left in the bowl.

This salad was delicious.  It is a perfect side dish (or meal!) for summer.  Next time I might add some grilled chicken breasts to it and make it a full meal.  This is a keeper for me!  


2 Granny Smith apples, thinly sliced
4 cups shredded green cabbage (about 1/2 head) (I used the pre-shredded bagged cabbage)                              
4 cups shredded red cabbage (about 1/2 head) (I omitted) 
1 cucumber, seeded and sliced
3/4 cup dried cherries (I used raisins and cranberries)                              
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup olive oil
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup roasted, salted pepitos (shelled pumpkin seeds)
 
 Combine apples and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk together vinegar and next 4 ingredients in a medium bowl. Toss vinaigrette with apple mixture; cover and chill up to 4 hours. Sprinkle with pepitos.          

Update: To add some protein to this dish I decided to add some flaked tuna.  I wasn't sure I was going to enjoy it but I may or may not have eaten it all and licked the bowl clean.  :)   

1 comment: