Sunday, June 9, 2013

#958: Crunchy Chickpea Salad


A long time ago I found this "kid friendly" lunch recipe in my Parents magazine.  I will admit I thought it looked delicious, but not one tiny chance that my kids were going to eat this.  I'm totally not opposed to exposing kids to veggies and I will attempt to get them to try it but I can guarantee with 100% certainty that none of my kids are going to eat this.  This is however, a great recipe to serve when company is coming over.  It's pretty much a salad that I can make ahead of time and it's healthy. 

You could use pretty much any veggies you have on hand, but I used orange and red bell peppers, cucumber, zucchini and yellow squash.  You can also use any vinaigrette that you have, but I picked up a roasted red pepper vinaigrette since I was serving this with a Mexican themed meal.  I thought that went better than balsamic or Greek. :)

It also says to serve with pita chips but I served it just as a salad.  As a salad it's really quite good.  I will definitely be making this one again!


1 can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
3 cups mixed raw vegetables, cut into small dice, here we used red, orange and yellow peppers, cucumber, zucchini and summer squash
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup bottled vinaigrette

Combine all ingredients in a bowl, toss well and refrigerate overnight. Serve with pita chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment