Wednesday, June 12, 2013

#976: Zucchini Spaghetti Sauce


Since I made some homemade meatballs, I needed some spaghetti sauce to go with it.  So I went to my pantry in search of crushed tomatoes...I was all out.  But I did have a can of stewed tomatoes so I improvised and came up with my own spaghetti sauce recipe. 

Here's the bad part of this recipe...I don't measure.  I eyeball things.  So measurements below are in "shakes" not tsp or such.  Just make yours with whatever you like.

I was a little skeptical, but this is delicious.  It's a little chunkier than I like, so next time I think I'll just puree it with my immersion blender a little bit more.  This is good stuff, if I do say so myself!

1/2 zucchini, chopped fine
1-2 tbsp. olive oil
14 oz stewed tomatoes
2-3 shakes of onion powder
2 shakes of dried basil
2 shakes of dried Italian seasoning
1 tsp minced garlic (or more depending on your preference)

Sautee the zucchini in olive oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes to begin to soften.  Add remaining ingredients plus 1/3 c of water.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.  Use an immersion blender to puree all of the ingredients.  Be careful not to puree too much of you will have a very smooth sauce (unless you like it that way).  Continue to simmer until desired consistency. 

No comments:

Post a Comment