Saturday, August 1, 2015

#1,568: Better-For-You Sweet Tea


Not too long ago, I came across this recipe in a recent issue of Rachel Ray magazine. We had just come back from Nashville and I was really enjoying drinking sweet tea…which I know is not very good for you.  Since this recipe looked much healthier I decided to give it a try. 

I was not a fan of the tea with the pureed peaches only because it left pieces/bits floating in my drink…not a fan.  So I decided to strain it out and did like it better.  However it still was not sweet at all.  So I added a little bit of stevia (about 3 packets) and liked it much better.  Although definitely not as good as sweet tea, I still think this was ok. Would I make it again?  Probably not, but for a one time try, I didn’t mind it.  And I’ll definitely finish the pitcher…

1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
8 plain black tea bags
2 large peaches, peeled, pitted and chopped, or 8 oz. frozen peaches, thawed
2 tablespoons honey
8 sprigs mint

In a large saucepan, bring 8 cups cold water and the ginger to a boil. Remove from heat, add tea bags and steep 5 to 7 minutes. 

Strain three-quarters of the tea into a large ice-filled pitcher. 

Strain remaining tea into a blender; add peaches and honey. Puree and add to pitcher; stir to combine. 

Divide among 8 tall, ice-filled glasses; garnish with mint sprigs.

No comments:

Post a Comment