Sunday, August 2, 2015

#1,575: Breakfast Egg and Sausage Cupcakes

I was really unsure about this recipe and my kids immediately told me they didn't like it, even before they tried it.  Then they actually tried it and all 3 LOVED it.  YES!  Plus...I used soy veggie sausage in place of turkey sausage and they had no idea!  My kids are not egg eaters at all so I was thrilled that they not only loved these, they asked me to make them again tomorrow.  The photo above shows 2 of the cups with the tops on, but I pulled the top wonton off the bottom egg cup so you could get a better idea of what it looks like on the inside. 

If you use a traditional muffin tin yours will be circular, but I used my Pampered Chef square brownie pan and they came out in squares.  Such an easy recipe and it was really, really good!!

Update: Okay I went back to the original recipe and I actually made these wrong...I was supposed to put a second layer of egg/sausage but this would have totally overfilled my pan.  Make these however you want...the flavor/taste won't change!  And I've made them both ways and my kids prefer them as a single layer without a top.  I made a batch of these and stuck them in the fridge for the kids to try as something I can put in their lunchbox when school starts and they all enjoyed them cold/cool too.  Yeah, another healthy lunchbox idea!!

Makes 8 egg and sausage cups (either double layer or with one as a top) or 16 single layer cups:
4 Turkey sausage patties (I used soy veggie sausage)
Mild Cheddar cheese, shredded
4 eggs
16 Wonton wrappers

Preheat the oven to 375 and lightly mist the cups in a muffin tin with the cooking spray.
Push a wonton wrapper into the bottom of each of the sprayed cups.

Scramble the eggs.  Add the cooked sausage, chopped into little pieces.  Add a couple of spoonfuls of the egg and sausage mixture into each cup.  Add a pinch of the shredded cheese on top of that.

Now press another wonton wrapper on top and repeat the layering steps with the remaining ingredients.

Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.  Let cool for 5 minutes before removing from the muffin tin.

No comments:

Post a Comment