Monday, August 10, 2015

#1,586: 5-Minute No-Cook Fresh Tomato Pizza Sauce

I have so many cherry tomatoes fresh from my garden and I've already made a batch of blender salsa, so I decided to make the next commonly used tomato-based ingredient we use in this house: pizza sauce.  I was drawn to this recipe because I didn't have to cook anything, and could get the recipe done in one container (my blender) and in a matter of minutes.  

Although this is not the best pizza sauce I've ever eaten, my family ate it and liked it and didn't know it was from my garden (and less processed than the jarred kind!!).  It is a little gritty with the seeds and skin, but I just put on some ground (veggie) sausage and my family had no idea there was anything different with this sauce.  HUGE win in my book!


1 pound fresh tomatoes (quartered if using larger tomatoes)
6-ounce can tomato paste
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon honey or granulated sugar
2 medium cloves garlic
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
Few turns fresh ground pepper
2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
Pinch crushed red pepper flakes

Add all ingredients to the pitcher of a blender. Blend until completely pureed. Add additional salt and pepper to taste.  Spread on pizza crust; add toppings and bake as desired.


Keeps refrigerated in an airtight container for 2-3 days or can be frozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment