Monday, August 10, 2015

#1,587: Veggie Packed Pizza Rolls

I took the 5-Minute No Cook Pizza Sauce recipe that I just posted and used it as the base for this veggie packed pizza sauce recipe.  You can use any pizza sauce (homemade or store bought) that you have on hand and make it healthier by adding more veggies to it.  I whipped this up in about 10 minutes and my husband knows something is up with this recipe but can't figure out what I've done to his beloved pizza!  (If I ask him to try a recipe chances are there is something in it he isn't going to like...and he's right!).

Anyhow, you can totally adapt this recipe to whatever veggies you have on hand.  I used green bell peppers, mushrooms (which my husband thinks he's allergic to...obviously he's not), carrots, zucchini and kale.  Shhh...don't tell my hubby or kids!  I sauteed the veggies in a tiny bit of olive oil to cook/soften them and then added it to my blender.  Once pureed as much as I could get it, I added my homemade pizza sauce and pureed it again.  The kids (and my husband!) loved these.  It was so simple to make and is such a healthier option for them.  

I'll post the original recipe below which actually tells you to make a homemade pizza crust.  I didn't have time for that.  I intended to buy the pizza dough you get in a can and just rolls out (super bad for us I know!) but found mini ones instead.  So I just rolled out the mini crusts (from the pop open can) as much as I could, spread the sauce on it, added some cooked veggie sausage, and mozzarella and then rolled them up. I then put them in my square brownie/muffin pan.  I sprayed the tops with a little bit of olive oil and sprinkled on some Parmesan cheese.  I baked at 375 degrees for about 18 minutes or until the dough was golden brown.  SOOOO simple.  

Original Recipe Instructions: 
1 jar of your favorite marinara sauce
2 cups of chopped veggies (spinach, bell peppers, mushrooms, onion, tomatoes, carrots, zucchini)
1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese (can use more if you like it cheesy)

Crust:
2 cups flour (I use whole wheat, but you can do 1/2 wheat and 1/2 all-purpose)
2 1/4 tsp rapid rise yeast
1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup very warm water
3 tablespoons olive oil

Combine 1 cup flour, undissolved yeast, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together the warm water and the oil and add to the dry ingredients. Mix until well blended, about 1 minute. Gradually add enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Dough should form a ball and will be slightly sticky. Knead on a floured surface, adding additional flour if necessary, until smooth and elastic, about 4 minutes.

Place dough in a large, lightly greased bowl, and cover with plastic wrap.  Allow to rest for 30 minutes in a warm, draft-free place.  Dough should almost double in size.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Chop veggies and saute for 3-4 minutes or until slightly tender.  Blend in a high powered blender with marinara sauce.

Remove the dough from the bowl and place on a lightly floured work surface.  Use a rolling pin to roll the dough into a ½-inch thick rectangle, about 12 by 10 inches. Begin by spreading about 1 cup of sauce over the dough, leaving a ½-inch boarder around the edges.  If it seems like it needs more, then add 1 or 2 Tbsp at a time.   Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.

Begin rolling the dough until you have one large roll.  Slice into 8-12 slices and place in a greased muffin tin.  Bake for 15-20 minutes or until rolls are golden brown and cooked through the middle.

No comments:

Post a Comment