Friday, August 7, 2015

#1,584: Healthy (and Kid Approved) Breakfast Cookies

My kids went bananas over these healthy breakfast cookies!  They absolutely loved them!  I got about 2 1/2 dozen big cookies from this recipe, so we stuck a whole bunch of these in the freezer so we have them when school starts in a few weeks.  They were really easy to make, but the dough is really sticky.  These don't spread out as they bake and you are suppose to flatten them a bit with the back of a spoon, but it kept sticking to the spoon.  So after every 2 cookies, I sprayed the bottom of a glass with non-stick spray and that really helped to flatten them with minimal sticking. 

I decided to replace the raisins with chocolate chips so my kids would enjoy these more (a little less healthy, but still overall healthy).  I will definitely be making these again!!  I will also be putting these in the kids lunchboxes!  

1 1/2 cup brown sugar (I used 1 cup, but next time will cut down the amount of sugar even more)
2 cups quick oats
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves (I used nutmeg)
1/3 cup ground flax (I used hemp hearts)
1/3 cup ground almonds (I used chia seeds)
1/3 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup applesauce
1/4 cup water
3 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup golden raisins (I used ½ cup chocolate chips)
Preheat oven to 350° F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. In a large bowl mix together sugar, oats, flour, baking soda, baking powder, ginger, cloves, flax, almonds and wheat germ.
Make a well in the center and add canola oil, applesauce, water, eggs and vanilla. Mix until well blended. Stir in raisins (chocolate chips in my case).
Scoop out golf ball sized cookies onto cookie sheets. Flatten with the back of a spoon. These cookies do not spread when baked.  Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
Remove to a cooling rack, and let cool completely.  

No comments:

Post a Comment