Thursday, August 6, 2015

#1,583: Banana Bread Waffles

One thing everyone in my family enjoys is waffles.  Especially the ones we make in our waffle maker, but we usually use the boxed mix, and just add oil and water.  I wanted to make something a little healthier for them and came across this recipe for banana bread waffles.  This looked SO simple, so I quickly whipped them up for the kids for breakfast this morning.  

This recipe literally took me less than 30 minutes from start to finish and my kids loved these!  I made extra and we are going to add these to our "lunchbox list" (healthier items to add to the kids lunchboxes!  These with fruit, yogurt and turkey sausage...healthy lunchbox idea!).  

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
I also added 1/4 c wheat bran
3/4 cup sugar (I used about 1/3 cup)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (I omitted)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon fine salt
1 cup smashed banana (2 to 3 small bananas)
1/2 cup vegetable oil (I used 1/4 cup oil and 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce)
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs


Preheat a waffle iron to medium heat. Whisk together the flour, wheat bran, sugar, walnuts, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.

(I put this in a large bowl and used my electric beaters to really incorporate this and mash up those bananas) Whisk together the banana, oil, sour cream, vanilla and eggs in another bowl. Fold the banana mixture into the flour mixture until just combined (it's ok if there are lumps).

Lightly spray the top and bottom of the waffle iron with oil or non-stick spray. Fill each section about three-quarters of the way full (there should still be some waffle iron showing). Close and cook until the waffles are golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes. 

Dust with confectioners' sugar if you'd like.

Original Cook's Note: Freeze the waffles in resealable plastic bags for up to 1 month. Reheat in a toaster oven or 300 degree F oven until warmed through and crisp.

No comments:

Post a Comment