Monday, August 10, 2015

#1,589: Power Packed Fruit and Veggie Muffin

One of my kids (Allison, age 8) happened to see this recipe printed out before I made it.  She was very hesitant to try these once she read the title of this recipe.  LOL  My other 2 kids however were trying to eat the muffin batter uncooked out of the bowl!  Needless to say, my kids (all 3) loved these.  They were BEGGING for a second one and think I'm an amazing baker.  Seriously, of all the things I've made for them, especially recently, THIS is the recipe they are amazed at?!?!  Whatever, I'll take it.  Next time I'll probably use all whole wheat flour and will probably add another jar of the broccoli/zucchini puree to make them a tad more moist.  These are slightly dense but as long as my kids are eating them, I don't care!!

Oh and in case you can't tell, I made these in my Pampered Chef square brownie/muffin pans....hence the square shape.  I swear I probably won't ever use a regular muffin tin/pan again so expect to see lots of square baked goods!

Ingredients
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
I also added about 1/8 c of wheat bran
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup sugar
4 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup broccoli florets, steamed (I was lazy and used 2 jars of organic broccoli and zucchini baby food)
1 medium zucchini (I omitted…see above)
1 1/2 medium carrot
1/2 medium apple (I omitted)
1 medium banana
1/8 cup apple juice (I omitted)
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a medium size bowl, mix together flours, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Set aside.

In a mixer or another bowl, mix the sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla. Beat well.

In a food processor or blender, combine steamed broccoli, zucchini, (or in my case the 2 jars of organic baby food) apple, banana, apple juice, and applesauce.  Pulse until thoroughly mixed.

Shred or finely grate the carrots (I threw mine in the food processor!). 

Combine the fruit and veggie puree, carrots (unless you already added them with the puree), and yogurt, into the wet ingredient mixture (sugar/butter/eggs) and beat until mixed.
Finally, add the dry ingredients and mix just until combined and wet.

In a muffin tin, place muffin papers or spray with cooking spray.  Scoop the mixture into a prepared muffin pan.  Fill each spot about 3/4 of the way full.

For mini muffins: Bake in a 350 oven for 15-20 minutes for mini-muffins.
For regular size muffins: Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 20-25 minutes.

Bake until the tops are slightly brown and a toothpick comes out clean or they bounce back when you touch them with your finger.

These freeze great! Put them in a freezer-safe bag and freeze for up to 3 months.  

No comments:

Post a Comment