Saturday, August 15, 2015

#1,590: Zucchini Muffins




Back to school is literally just days away and I'm trying to get healthy breakfast options in the freezer so the kids have more options in the morning besides cereal.  I came across this recipe for zucchini muffins which included raisins or cranberries.  Although my kids like these ingredients, they don't love them in baked goods, so I changed it to mini chocolate chips instead...less healthy I know!  My kids LOVED this recipe and immediately asked for a second one.  I do think these are a bit dense, but as long as the kids like them, I don't care if they aren't light as air.  :)  The recipe below makes 6 muffins so I increased all of the ingredients except the zucchini.  I think it had more than enough.  

1 large zucchini to yield, shredded
¼ cup whole wheat flour (I used all whole wheat flour)
½ cup unbleached all purpose flour (I omitted)
⅓ cup sugar (I used half splenda and ½ brown sugar…only b/c it was the first sugar I grabbed)
¼ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 egg beaten
¼ cup non-fat Greek yogurt
¼ cup dried cranberries or raisins (I used mini chocolate chips)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Shred the zucchini using the large holes of a grater.
Combine flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a bowl.

Stir egg and yogurt into the dry mix.  Add the zucchini shreds and stir to combine. As the zucchini is incorporated the batter will become softer, but will still be on the thick side.  Fold in cranberries or raisins.

Fill muffin tins lined with paper liners or coated with cooking spray about ⅔ full. (If using paper liners, give them a spritz too!)

Bake for 20-25 minute or until the muffins are firm and lightly browned on the top.
Allow muffins to cool for 5 minutes and then remove to a wire rack to cool further.

No comments:

Post a Comment