Sunday, August 2, 2015

#1,576: Beef and “Rice” Stuffed Zucchini


I wasn't sure I was going to be a huge fan of this recipe because there isn't too much seasoning of the ground beef and I like my meat tasting NOTHING like meat.  LOL  Sometimes I wonder why I'm not a vegetarian...

Anyhow, this was really, really good.  It was really easy to make too because you basically have to cook the ground beef (I used turkey), then add in the remaining ingredients and then finish off in the oven.  Simple.  I loved the flavor of this as well.  


As you can see in the photo above, I made this recipe as I was supposed to ...in a "zucchini boat" form.  But this takes time to bake in the oven and after making it the first time, I was short on time and wanted to make this faster the second time (with the leftover filling).  SO...the second time I diced up half of a zucchini and placed it in a pan with a little olive oil over medium-high heat.  I sauteed the zucchini until it was almost done and then added some of the beef/cauliflower rice filling and heated it all through.  Still delicious, even easier and faster to get on the table.  


1 lb ground beef (I used ground turkey)
2 1/2 cups riced cauliflower (see below)
4 large zucchini
3 Tbsp Dijon mustard
Salt, Pepper, and Garlic powder, to taste (or your favorite spices) (I added some dried basil)

Preheat the oven to 350 F.  Prepare the zucchini, by trimming off the ends and cutting the zucchini in half lengthwise.  Using a spoon, remove the seeds/core of the zucchini.  Dice up the core and reserve for later use.

In a large skillet, brown the ground beef until mostly cooked through.  Add the caul-rice and the core of the zucchini.  Cook for 2-3 minutes.  Add the Dijon mustard and spices.  Cook for another 1-2 minutes or until heated through.

Season the zucchini with salt and pepper and fill each zucchini with the ground beef/”rice” mixture. Bake, covered with foil, for 20 minutes.  Remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes or until the zucchini is tender.  For those that eat dairy, sprinkle with cheese after uncovering.


*To make riced cauliflower, cut one head of cauliflower into florets and place the florets in a food processor or blender.  Pulse until the cauliflower is the size of grains of rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment