Saturday, August 15, 2015

#1,591: Eggplant Parmesan--Made in a Waffle Iron

The photo of these little babies do not do them justice.  My kids (and I) really enjoy eggplant Parmesan, so when I found a super simple recipe to make the in my waffle maker I was excited and intrigued!  Although my kids were not fans of these, I sure was!  They were SOOO good and they really were so simple to make.  The only MAJOR downfall is cleaning your waffle maker when you are done.  My husband was so appalled that I used the waffle maker for these that he claims I need to buy a new one for him to make waffles with.  (Sorry, not going to happen!) 

Although I definitely enjoy the baked or fried eggplant Parmesan better, for a simple, healthier, easy recipe, these will do!!  I was shocked at how well/tender the eggplant got as it baked/cooked so quickly.  I might try this in my pannini press next time because it would be so much easier to clean (and make my hubby happier!)

1 eggplant, peeled (I didn’t peel mine) and sliced into about ½ inch thick slices
Grated Parmesan cheese (about ½ cup)
1 egg, lightly beaten
Salt and pepper
Garlic powder
Italian seasoning

Heat up your waffle iron according to your manufacturers directions.  In a bowl combine the Parmesan and any other seasonings you choose (I used salt and peppers, garlic powder and a little Italian seasoning).  Lightly mix. 

In a separate bowl lightly beat one (or two) eggs.
 
Dip each piece of eggplant first in the egg mixture, and then in the cheese mixture completely coating both sides of the eggplant.

Lightly spray the inside with non-stick spray if needed.  

Shake off any excess coating, and place it on your pre-heated waffle iron (I was able to get four pieces in at a time because I used baby eggplants).   Cook about 3-4 minutes or until eggplant is golden brown. 


No comments:

Post a Comment