Sunday, July 26, 2015

#1,567: Low-Fat Tangy Tomato Dressing


There are mixed reviews on this recipe in our family.  I am trying to get the girls away from liking ranch as their only salad dressing they will eat, so I'm making and trying new ones for/with them.  I thought they might like this one because it is similar to french and personally I like french dressing.  Sadly they didn't really like this recipe, but I thought it was ok.  I liked that it was much less minimally processed (and high in fat and calories) like ranch dressing is.  But I wasn't totally, totally in love with the flavor of this. It tasted like a glorified, watered down catsup a little bit.  I ended up adding some garlic, salt, pepper and a tiny bit of sugar to this.  It needs something else too but I'm not sure yet what it needs.  I'm hoping it gets better as the flavors meld and it sits in the fridge.  But for now, whether the kids like it or not, they'll be getting this with their salad for the next few days instead of their beloved ranch.  


1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
1 envelope Italian salad dressing mix
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
I also added about 1-2 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, 1/2 packet of stevia, and about 1 tsp minced garlic


Place all ingredients in a blender; cover and process until blended. Yield: 2 cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment