Friday, July 17, 2015

#1,551: Lima Bean Hummus

Lima beans are the one veggie I actually like, but rarely eat.  I never think to make it for my kids even though my mom used to make it for us.  So I figured this would be a good way to try and expose them to lima beans and see if they like it.  I also liked the prospect of this recipe because it seemed like a milder tasting hummus.  Sadly, my kids didn't like this at all, but I actually did.  Yes it is more bland compared to traditional hummus recipes, but I still liked it.  

1 package(10 oz) package frozen baby lima beans (not thawed)
2 cups water
1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
1 garlic clove, peeled and minced, or ½ teaspoon garlic powder
2 tbsp fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon hot water (if you like)

Put the lima beans and water in the pot and put the pot on the stove. Turn the heat to high and cover the pot. When you see steam coming out from under the lid, turn the heat down to low and simmer until the beans are tender and creamy, 10–15 minutes. Drain the beans in the colander or strainer.

Put the lima beans and the rest of the ingredients in the bowl of the food processor fitted with a steel blade and process until smooth, about 1 minute. You can add 1–2 tablespoons of hot water if you want the dip to be creamier. Now taste the hummus. Does it need more lemon juice? More salt or mint? If so, add it and taste again.


Using the spatula, scoop the dip into the serving bowl or lidded container.  Serve right away or cover and refrigerate up to 5 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment