Sunday, July 19, 2015

#1,556 and #1,557: Chocolate Zucchini Cake with Chocolate Fudge Frosting



This is actually two recipes in one (one for the zucchini cake and one for the frosting).  My kids have been asking me to make zucchini bread for weeks now and I've had to put off making this recipe for one reason or another.  But tonight, I had some extra time and figured I'd throw these in the oven to make for them for breakfast tomorrow. I also made these in smaller pans (instead of the recommended 9x13 pan) so that I could give away some of this so we don't eat it all.  This was a huge hit in our house. We loved it...although I thought it was a little dry. Next time I'm going to add one more egg. 

For the zucchini cake:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar (I used 1 cup...who needs 2 cups of sugar?!!?)
1/2 cup dark baking cocoa (I just used regular baking cocoa)
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup reduced-fat plain yogurt (I used a 3 oz container of Greek yogurt)
1/4 cup canola oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups shredded zucchini

Frosting Ingredients:
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

To make the cake:
Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 13x9-in. baking pan.

In a large bowl, whisk the first seven ingredients. In another bowl, whisk eggs, yogurt, oil and vanilla until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Stir in zucchini.

Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake 25-30 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.

To make the chocolate frosting:
Melt chocolate and butter in a metal bowl over barely simmering water. Stir until smooth.


Place evaporated milk, sugar and vanilla in a blender; cover and process 1 minute to dissolve sugar. Add warm chocolate mixture; cover and process just until mixture thickens to desired consistency, about 30 seconds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment