Saturday, March 30, 2013

#890: Blackened Chicken (with Avocado Salsa)


The recipe below is for Blackened Chicken with Avocado Salsa.  You may have noticed in my title above I have "with avocado salsa" in quotes.  That's because in the end I didn't make it that way.  But I wanted to post the whole recipe and not just "blackened chicken."  Which one sounds more appealing?  Yeah I agree with you, avocado salsa sounds wonderful.  It sounds so good in fact, I might have to make it just to eat with tortilla chips in the near future. 

Anyhow, I didn't have avocado or papaya so I just omitted the salsa and ate the chicken.  We enjoyed this chicken and everyone ate it, but I personally thought it was a little rubbery.  I think it's because I finished it off in the oven.  It would have been really good and crispy if I would have just pan fried it like it starts out, but that's certainly not the healthiest way to eat chicken so I went with the recipe as described.  Would I eat this again, yes.  Would I make this particular recipe again, no. 


4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (1-1/4 to 1-1/2 lb. total)
2 teaspoons blackened steak seasoning
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon salt
Dash ground black pepper

1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled, and chopped
2/3 cup chopped fresh or refrigerated papaya
1/3 cup chopped red sweet pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Fresh cilantro sprigs (optional)
 
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly sprinkle both sides of chicken with blackened steak seasoning. In a large ovenproof skillet heat the 1 Tbsp. oil over medium heat. Add chicken; cook until browned, turning once. Bake about 15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (170 degrees F).
 
Meanwhile, for salsa, in large bowl whisk rice vinegar, the 2 Tbsp. oil, cumin, salt, and black pepper. Stir in avocado, papaya, sweet pepper, and chopped cilantro. Serve with chicken. If desired, garnish with cilantro. Makes 4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment