Sunday, March 3, 2013

#868: Slow Cooker Chicken Marsala


Don't judge this recipe by its photo.  No, it does not look pretty.  And no, this photo does not do the recipe justice.  It's much better than it looks.  Personally I enjoyed my chicken cut up into little pieces and mixed into the rice with some mixed vegetables added to it.  The sauce was really good too, and even the girls enjoyed it.  I would make this again for our family. 

Unfortunately though, my husband claims to be allergic to mushrooms so I had to leave them out...even though I know mushrooms are 1 of the 2 ingredients that make a recipe "Marsala" AND it would have made it taste so much better.  Okay I also substituted chicken broth for the Marsala wine.  Basically I made chicken and rice.  :)


I made this recipe on my freezer cooking day, placed it all in a Ziploc bag and froze.  Then I put the entire thing FROZEN in the crock pot and cooked it on low for about 10 hours. 
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon vegetable oil (I omitted)
8 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 jars (6 oz each) Green Giant® sliced mushrooms, drained (I omitted)
1 cup sweet Marsala wine or Progresso® chicken broth (I used chicken broth since I had it on hand)
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup cornstarch
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (not in photo)
 
Spray 4- to 5-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. In cooker, place garlic and oil. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper; place in cooker over garlic. Place mushrooms over chicken; pour wine over all.
Cover; cook on Low heat setting 5 to 6 hours.

Remove chicken from cooker; place on plate and cover to keep warm. In small bowl, mix water and cornstarch until smooth; stir into liquid in cooker. Increase heat setting to High; cover and cook about 10 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened.

Return chicken to cooker. Cover; cook on High heat setting 5 minutes longer or until chicken is hot.  To serve, spoon mushroom mixture over chicken breasts; sprinkle with parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment