Thursday, March 21, 2013

#880: Hot and Cheesy Carmalized Corn Dip

See that gooey pile of cheesy goodness?  Mmm, this was a good corn dip.  I enjoyed it immensely!!  However as the Greek yogurt cools and solidifies, it gives it a shredded chicken texture.  I served it at book club and a lot of people thought it had chicken in it.  Nope.  Regardless it still was yummy.  I would definitely make this again but it is certainly best hot, right out of the oven.  I served mine with scoop tortilla chips.

The only real change I made to this recipe was to cut WAY down on the amount of cheese it called for.  Not that I don't like cheese, but I didn't think it needed 10 oz of cheese! That's a bit much.


4 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped (I used real bacon bits)
1 teaspoon olive oil (I omitted)
3 1/2 cups sweet corn (frozen corn that was thawed and completely dry)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 sweet onion, chopped
1/2 red pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
4 green onions, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 (17 ounce) container of 2% Greek yogurt
5 ounces cheddar cheese, freshly grated (I used about 4 oz of Mexican Blend Cheese)
5 ounces Monterrey jack cheese, freshly grated (I omitted)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add bacon. Fry until crispy and all fat is rendered, the remove bacon and let drain on a paper towel. Add corn to the skillet, cooking and stirring until golden and a bit caramely – about 6-8 minutes. Remove corn and add it to a large bowl. Add olive oil to the skillet, then add onions and red peppers with salt and pepper. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add in jalapeno, green onions and garlic, cooking for just 2-3 minutes. Transfer mixture to the bowl, adding in the yogurt, paprika, bacon and 4 ounces of each cheese. Stir until combined, then top with remaining cheese (I didn't put any extra cheese on top, I just mixed it all in).

Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cheese is golden on top. Serve immediately with tortilla chips or crackers.

No comments:

Post a Comment