Friday, February 1, 2013

#817: Turkey and Quinoa Muffins



The picture about does NOT do this recipe justice. In fact, if I saw this picture I would never try it. So don't let this stop you from trying it. I was pretty sure Brian was going to hate this recipe. I usually try not to tell him what is in a recipe until after he starts eating it, but he saw the word "quinoa" before we ate and I would have put money on him not even trying this AT ALL. He happily surprised me by not only eating this, but liking it. We all enjoyed it. So much so, that the kids kept asking for more and there were no more left to give them. So next time I'm going to double this recipe. Matthew loved it too! It was a little crumbly and a little dense but we still enjoyed it a lot. I was trying to outsmart the stupid muffin tin by making these in an 8x8 pan instead and that did NOT work out for us. I had to crisp up the bottom of the muffins in a pan for a few minutes. DON'T make this in a pan unless you put this into an actual loaf pan instead of muffins.

1lb ground lean turkey
2 egg whites
1/3c cooked quinoa

Cumin
Balsamic vinegar
Garlic powder
Spicy mustard
Chile powder
Crushed red pepper
Fresh chives
Poppy seeds (I omitted)
Dash of hot sauce (I omitted)

 

This is exactly what the recipe directions stated: "For the spices, vinegar, & mustard... I didn't measure. I just sprinkled until I thought it looked like enough. So... "to taste.'"

This is my kind of recipe.  I can just dump stuff in??  Yes please! 


Preheat your oven to 425. Coat a muffin pan with non stick spray. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Fill the tins almost full. Then bake for about 30 minutes or until cooked thru.

No comments:

Post a Comment