Sunday, February 24, 2013

#849: Healthy Chicken Salad


We have Market Day coming in a few days so we will finally have more chicken in the house.  Market Day chicken is definitely my favorite and worth the extra cost of having each piece individually wrapped.  So I had 1 chicken breast in my freezer and decided to use it up in this recipe for my lunch this week. 

I enjoyed this but next time I'll use a fresh blender salsa instead of the pico de gallo.  I've never been a huge fan of pico de gallo and I think this is a little dry.  I blender salsa would give it a little spice, a little tomato, and a lot of flavor and moisture.  I might have to go make some blender salsa right now.  I hope I have tomatoes in my pantry!  Ooh, and diced avocado would be great too!

Update: I made a blender salsa and added it to this dish...it is perfect now! 


2 chicken breasts, boiled and shredded
2 limes, freshly squeezed
1/2 tbsp. cumin
salt to taste
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
1 red bell pepper, diced (I used an orange pepper)
1 green bell pepper, diced
1/2 onion, diced
1 can black beans, drained
1 tub pre made pico de gallo
Jalapenos, to taste (optional)
 
In a bowl combine all of the ingredients and mix well.  Serve as is, over rice or in a tortilla. 
 
An entire bowl of this chicken salad is 13 ww+ pts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment