Sunday, February 3, 2013

#823: Cottage Cheese Breakfast Casserole

I just came across this recipe today and was so excited to try it, I made it almost instantly.  I added some extra veggies in it to bulk up the amount this makes and the healthiness factor, and LOVED it.  It is delicious.  I cannot wait to eat this again this week for breakfast.

4 strips bacon or turkey bacon (I used 2 turkey sausage patties, chopped)
1 cup low-fat cottage cheese, rinsed and drained (I didn't bother to rinse or drain)
3 oz. (1/3 cup) crumbled Feta (I used 1/4 c shredded Mexican blend cheese)
1/3 cup sliced green onions
Spike Seasoning to taste (or use other all purpose seasoning mix)
fresh ground black pepper to taste
8 eggs, well beaten (I used 1 cup of egg beaters)

I also added: 1/3 zucchini, diced
4 baby carrots, grated
3/4 of a red pepper, diced

Preheat oven to 375F. Spray an 8"x8" glass casserole dish with nonstick spray.

Cook bacon in the microwave until it's very crisp and blot away the fat with paper towels, then crumble. Drain the cottage cheese into a fine-mesh colander, spray with cold water until the creamy part washes away and only the curds remain, and let drain. Crumble the feta, slice the green onions, and beat the eggs.


Combine the crumbled bacon, cottage cheese, Feta, and green onions in the casserole dish. Season the ingredients with Spike Seasoning and pepper, pour over the beaten eggs, and gently stir so all ingredients are combined.

Bake 30-35 minutes, or until the mixture is firm and starting to slightly brown on top. (It will puff a bit while it cooks and then settle back down as it cools. Serve hot. This keeps well in the fridge and can be reheated in the microwave for 1-2 minutes.
 
My version (see red notes above) made 4 large servings at 3 ww+ pts each!  That's a very filling, low point breakfast for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment