Sunday, February 10, 2013

#829: Baked Cheddar Broccoli Rice Cups


This week I decided to use broccoli in several of my recipes.  This is the first one I tried, and planned to eat it either as a breakfast food or as a side dish to one of my dinners.  It was actually fairly easy to prepare with cooking the rice and broccoli being the hardest steps.  The rest of the recipe you just toss together.  My kind of recipe!!  I pretty much halved this recipe for fear that I wouldn't like it (that wasn't the case by the way!).

When these were about done cooking, I flipped them over and let them go for another 10 minutes or so to help the bottoms brown up a little too.  These are actually quite delightful, even with the removal of a lot of the cheese.  I think I've decided to eat this for dinner tonight and then eat the rest for breakfast this week at school. 

Definitely a keeper in my book!


1 cup quick-cooking rice (I used 1/2 cup minute brown rice)
1 cup chicken stock (I used 1/2 c)
1 10-oz. box frozen, chopped broccoli, thawed and excess water squeezed out (I used about 1 1/2 c fresh broccoli which I steamed)
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided (I used 1/4 cup)
1/4 cup Homemade Ranch Dressing, or store bought (I used 1/8 c of fat free ranch)
2 eggs, lightly beaten (I used 1/4 c of egg substitute)
1/2 teaspoon salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Prepare rice as directed on package, substituting stock for water. Place cooked rice in a large bowl and let cool slightly. Add the remaining ingredients, using only 1/2 cup of the cheddar cheese, and stir until combined. Transfer mixture to eight well-greased muffin cups–I like to use an ice cream scoop–and top with remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Bake 25 minutes at 350 degrees or until tops are lightly browned and edges are starting to get crispy.


I got 6 muffin cups out of this at 1 ww+ pts per muffin.  (The entire batch was 8 ww+ pts).

No comments:

Post a Comment