Sunday, February 10, 2013

#828: Turkey Sage Meatball Soup


I decided to make this recipe for lunches for Matthew and I.  Let's be honest, no one else in my family is going to eat this.  Well they'd eat the meatballs but that's about it.  Instead of cartons or canned chicken broth I decided to use my fresh chicken stock I made in the crockpot last week.  I think that was a bad idea.  This is oily.  I diluted it with probably 6 cups of water too!  This recipe also didn't call for browning the meatballs first (which I liked the idea of) and although these are definitely cooked thru, they are too light in color for my liking.  Part of that is probably because I used ground chicken instead of turkey. 

I wanted to like this.  I really did.  But it was SO bland!  Neither he nor I would eat this.  :(  Not making this one again unless I doctor it up A LOT.  No thanks. 

2 (32-oz.) cartons lower-sodium chicken broth (I used fresh chicken stock)
1 lb. ground turkey (I used ground chicken)
3/4 cup panko
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 egg (I used 3 tbsp of skim milk)
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage, divided (I used dried thyme)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
1 1/2 cups orzo (I used ditalini pasta)
1 carrot, sliced (1/4 inch)(1/2 cup)
1 rib celery, sliced (1/4 inch)(3/4 cup) (I use zucchini and thew in a diced yellow pepper too)

Bring broth to a boil in large pot over medium-high heat.
Meanwhile, combine turkey, panko, cheese, egg, 1 tablespoon of the sage, garlic, salt and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper in large bowl. Using 1 heaping tablespoon per meatball, form into 24 meatballs.

Add meatballs, orzo, carrot, celery and remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper to broth; return to a boil. Reduce heat to medium to medium-low; simmer 15 to 18 minutes or until meatballs are no longer pink in center and orzo is al dente, stirring occasionally. Garnish with remaining 1/2 tablespoon sage.

No comments:

Post a Comment