Wednesday, February 6, 2013

#824: Mini Skillet Meatloaves



Once I started making meatloaves in the crockpot, I rarely make them any other way now (unless I'm making super easy meatloaf muffins!).  So when I came across this recipe, I had to seriously debate if I wanted to stand over the stove cooking these or not.  But since we are now into the 800's for number of new recipes tried (shameless pat on the back for myself), I figured we should give this one a go. 

This was definitely easy to make.  I got 6 (unevenly sized) mini meatloaves from this recipe.  All 5 of us enjoyed this, although it wasn't my favorite meatloaf I've ever eaten.  It was still good though.  I liked that it cooked a lot faster than a typical meatloaf in the oven.  It was done in about 25 minutes...a lot more do-able when coming home from work and not having to wait an hour or more for dinner to be done (like regular meatloaf does). 


Would I make this again, yes.  Would I make this again on a regular basis, probably not.

 
1/3 cup breadcrumbs
1/3 cup milk
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 large egg
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 small onion, finely minced
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 cloves garlic, grated or finely minced
1 1/2 pounds meatloaf mix (ground beef, pork and/or veal) (I used ground turkey)
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup ketchup
1 to 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
 
Mix the breadcrumbs, milk, parsley, egg, Worcestershire sauce, onion, chili powder and garlic in a large bowl. Add the meat, season with salt and pepper and mix with your hands until combined. Shape into six 3-to-4-inch oval loaves.

Heat the vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add the loaves and brown about 3 minutes per side.

Whisk the ketchup, sugar and vinegar in a bowl and brush a few tablespoonfuls over the meat. Add 1/2 cup water to the skillet, cover and simmer over low heat until cooked through, about 15 minutes.
Transfer the loaves to a plate. Add the remaining ketchup mixture to the skillet and cook over high heat, stirring, until thick, 3 to 5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment