Sunday, February 3, 2013

#821: Pasta e Fagioli Soup


Technically this probably isn't a Pasta e Fagioli soup since I left out the noodles.  Don't get me wrong, I love noodles in my pasta (I love mini meatballs in it too!) but was trying to keep it a little healthier.  I'd actually call this more of a tomato and veggie soup.  As far as soups go, this isn't my favorite soup.  It's good, but I like a lot more stuff in my soup (like meat, noodles, etc).  As far as a healthy, filling soup...this is delicious.  Or at least I think so!

2 tablespoons olive oil (I omitted)
1 onion, chopped
1 rib celery, chopped  (I used zucchini instead)
2 carrots, chopped1 clove garlic, minced
2 15-oz. cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
2/3 c frozen peas
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
Salt and pepper
1 cup small pasta such as shells or elbows (I omitted)

Warm oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery and carrots and cook, stirring often, until softened but not browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute longer. Stir in beans, tomatoes, broth and thyme. Season with salt and pepper.

Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes. Add pasta and cook, stirring often, until the pasta is al dente, 10 to 12 minutes longer. Season again with salt and pepper. Thin with more broth if desired.

Let cool, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.

Without the noodles, but the addition of the peas, this came to 2 ww+ pts per bowl (I got 4 bowls).

No comments:

Post a Comment