Sunday, July 14, 2013

Product Review: Lean Cuisine® Honestly Good Meals

During the school year I go through spurts of eating frozen meals and bringing home made lunches.  I usually have several Lean Cuisine meals in the freezer at work for those time when I forgot my lunch or didn't have anything ready to go.  My go-to frozen meals are pasta or pizza.  I'm not a frozen meat fan.  But when I was invited to join this Lean Cuisine® Honestly Good Campaign, I was interested in trying the product because these are found in the natural and organic freezer section.  This summer I have been eating mainly natural, unprocessed, organic foods.  So these meals are more in line with the foods I am trying to eat.  

My finished/cooked lunch.
I was sent a coupon to try one of these meals for free.  My Kroger only had 2 varieties to choose from: Pomegranate Chicken or Lemongrass Salmon.  I cannot stand salmon so I was really only left with one choice.  There are actually 6 varieties or this product though so hopefully my store will start to carry some of the other ones too.  You can choose from the 2 already mentioned as well as Roasted Red Pepper Chicken, Plum Ginger Grain-Crusted Fish, Pineapple Black Pepper Beef or Honey Citrus Chicken. 

Each of the meals come with a protein, whole-grain side, and veggies.  The pomegranate chicken included a grilled chicken breast filet, pomegranate glaze, green and yellow beans as well as carrots, and while grain pilaf.  I assumed I would love the pilaf, think the beans were just okay and not eat much of the chicken.  I was very happily surprised that this was NOT the case.  I loved the chicken.  (Did I just say that?!)  It was so moist, and tender.  I ate the entire breast.  I am not a huge frozen veggie lover but the green and yellow beans were really good.  I didn't love the carrots, but I don't love carrots too much normally.  The pilaf was probably my least favorite part of the meal but it was still good.  Best part of this meal is that it is filling yet only 390 calories.

I have been trying to eat minimally processed foods this summer so I was very happy to see that most of the ingredients listed on the package were whole/real foods.  The only non-real food listed in the ingredients was "2% or less of zante currant raisins with sunflower oil."  I assumed zante was some form of additive...guess what, it's not!  It's the type of currant used.  I was quite impressed. 

This is what the product looks like coming right out of the box. 
See that little black spot on the chicken?  That's a currant!

Find out more about Kroger brand products by visiting their website.  Don't forget, you can also follow them on Facebook, Twitter or on Pinterest.

Note: Although I received these products to try for free, it in no way influenced my opinion of them, or the opinions expressed above. 

No comments:

Post a Comment