Tuesday, July 16, 2013

#1,018: Meatball Sub Casserole


You are supposed to use frozen meatballs for this recipe.  I wanted to use freshly made paleo ones, but decided that I didn't want to waste the paleo friendly meatballs on my family who wouldn't appreciate them.  So I went in search of frozen ones.  Our Kroger is being remodeled and they didn't have any in stock so I ended up using fresh turkey meatballs instead.  The package came with about 16 meatballs (homemade would have been so much better!) and I just cut them in half for this recipe.  I figured it would be easier for my family to eat.  I actually did not eat this with them.  I tried it so I could review it though.

Brian was not a fan of the bread on the bottom.  Neither were the kids.  They thought it was way too soggy, even being toasted first.  Personally I liked that part of it.  I liked that the bread was soft.  Since they were not fans of this, we will not be making this again.  The family says they prefer lasagna or meatballs with some garlic bread ON THE SIDE (made sure to emphasize that for them). 

1 loaf Italian bread, cut into 1-inch thick slices
8 oz. cream cheese, softened (I used about 1 1/4 cups of ricotta cheese)1/2 c mayo (I omitted)
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp pepper
2 c shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1 lb package, fully cooked frozen meatballs thawed
28 oz jar pasta sauce
1 c water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Place bread slices on a cookie sheet and toast slightly.
Once toasted, arrange bread slices in a single layer in an ungreased 9x13 baking dish. 

In a bowl combine cream cheese (I used ricotta), mayo (I omitted) and seasonings.  Spread mixture over bread slices.  Sprinkle with 1/2 cups of shredded cheese. 

Gently mix together spaghetti sauce, water and meatballs.  Spoon over cheese.  Sprinkle with remaining cheese.  Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment