Tuesday, July 23, 2013

#1,031: Summer Corn, Zucchini, Green Chiles and Lime

I honestly wasn't sure I was going to love this recipe.  Don't get me wrong, it looked good, and I loved the fresh veggies in it, but I don't love zucchini, and thought that it would ruin this dish.  First of all, I actually did enjoy it.  When I served it everyone was surprised that it was a hot dish.  I tried it both hot and cold and shockingly I prefer it hot/warm.

Although this is meant to be eaten as a side dish, a lot of us ate it with tortilla chips and like a salsa.  Delicious.  This would make a fabulous salsa. 


I will definitely be making this again.  What a great way to use fresh summer veggies....especially those gotten from a farmer's market.  :)

2 tablespoons olive oil
4 smallish zucchini squash, sliced into half moons
3 ears of fresh corn, kernels sliced off
3 ripe plum tomatoes, seeded, diced
1/2 cup roasted mild green chile, chopped
4 oz. chopped jalapenos (I omitted but next time will add it in)
4-5 cloves fresh peeled garlic, chopped
Sea salt, to taste
Lemon pepper, to taste
2-3 good pinches of ground cumin
A drizzle of raw agave sweetener (I used honey)
Juice from 1 fresh large lime [more juice, or water if needed]
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet and saute the squash for three to four minutes, until it starts to turn a bit golden.

Add the corn, tomatoes, green chile, jalapenos, garlic, sea salt, lemon pepper, cumin, a drizzle of raw agave, and lime juice; stir to combine.

Cover and cook for about 15 minutes, until the veggies are tender-crisp. Add more liquid if needed. To serve, stir in the fresh cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment