Tuesday, July 16, 2013

#1,016: Marinated Steak & Pepper Fajitas


 
 
As you can see from the photo above, this doesn't look like "Fajitas."  Brian ate his beef in a tortilla shell, but I wanted my steak and peppers cut up into a salad.  So that's exactly what I did.  And it was delicious.  My family will be shocked that 1. I ate the steak looking like the photo at left.  and 2. I ate steak at all. 

I'll be honest, I didn't eat much of the meat when it was pink.  Gross.  I like my meat charred.  So I cut it into strips and then stuck it back on the grill so it got nice and browned black.  This was very, very good.  Brian and I both enjoyed it immensely.  We will be making this again soon...
 
 
1/2 cup tequila or reduced-sodium beef broth (I used beef broth)
1/2 cup lime juice4 garlic cloves, sliced1 teaspoon grated lime peel
1 teaspoon chili powder
3/4 teaspoon salt3/4 teaspoon pepper
4 poblano peppers, halved and seeded (I omitted)4 jalapeno peppers, halved and seeded (I omitted)
1 large sweet onion, cut crosswise into 3/4-inch-thick slices
1-1/2 pounds beef skirt steaks or flank steak (I used skirt steak)8 whole wheat tortillas (8 inches), warmed (I omitted)
1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend (I omitted)
In a small bowl, whisk the first seven ingredients until blended. Divide marinade between two large resealable plastic bags. Add peppers and onion to one bag; seal bag and turn gently to coat. Cut skirt steaks in half and add to the second bag; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate vegetables and beef 8 hours or overnight.
Drain vegetables and beef, discarding marinade. Grill onion and poblanos, covered, over medium heat 4-6 minutes on each side or until tender. Grill jalapenos 2-3 minutes on each side or until crisp-tender. Grill steaks, covered, over medium heat 4-6 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Let steaks stand 5 minutes.
Cut peppers into strips; coarsely chop onion. Thinly slice steaks across the grain. Serve vegetables and beef on tortillas; top with cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment