Tuesday, July 16, 2013

#1,012: Paleo Pesto Chicken Salad

Photo courtesy of Paleo Newbie.  I swore I took a picture of this made but cannot find it on my camera...I must have forgotten to take it. 

I made this recipe to eat for breakfast or lunch this week.  It was so easy to throw together and I love the freshness of the pesto sauce.  I had to keep adding more pesto because I enjoyed it so much.  I decided not to add the avocado to the mixture so it will keep longer in the fridge.  I'm cutting up avocado chunks and adding it in right before I eat it. 

This is really good.  The water chestnuts give this such a great crunch and the pesto gives it a nice oil/nutty flavor as well.  I will definitely be making this again.

Personally I thought this would taste better eaten on bread.  So I had to make some paleo friendly bread.  It was good either way.



2 cups shredded chicken (I used shredded canned chicken)
1 avocado,cut into cubes (I omitted, see above)
1 jar artichokes ,chopped
1 can water chestnuts, chopped
1/4 cup roasted red peppers – chopped small (I omitted)

For the Paleo pesto:
1/2 cup olive oil
2 garlic cloves
1/4 cup pine nuts
1 cup basil
2 tbs fresh lemon juice
First make your pesto – this can be done ahead of time.  Combine, garlic, basil, pine nuts and lemon juice in a food processor for a few seconds until mixed. Pour in olive oil and blend until desired consistency. Store in fridge until ready to use.

In a bowl combine chicken, artichokes, red pepper and water chestnuts. Add desired amount of pesto and lightly toss. Add avocado.  Season with a little salt.  Serve inside a hollowed out tomato, as is, or with crackers or bread (if not following paleo).

No comments:

Post a Comment