Sunday, July 28, 2013

#1,034: Crockpot Pepper Steak


Don't let the name of this recipe fool you.  It sounds spicy doesn't it?  It did to me at least!  Nope, it's not.  In fact, I didn't even put the peppers into this dish because I was afraid it was going to get too soft/mushy.  I found this recipe on Allrecipes, and it had over 2400 ratings, almost all of which were 4 or 5 stars.  That's promising!

We had mixed opinions on this recipe.  The girls only had a little bit and didn't love it, but they ate it.  Brian ate it as well, but said he wasn't interested in eating it again.  I however, loved this.  I'm kind of glad no one else liked it as much as I did because that means I get all the leftovers (which there wasn't much of).  This is a recipe that I would seriously consider making again at work and sharing with my friends/co-workers because hopefully they would appreciate and enjoy it.

2 pounds beef sirloin, cut into 2 inch strips
garlic powder to taste
3 tbsp vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
1 cube beef bouillon
¼ c hot water
1 tbsp cornstarch
½ onion, chopped
2 bell peppers, roughly chopped (I omitted and added at the end)
1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, with liquid
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
Sprinkle strips of sirloin with garlic powder to taste. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the vegetable oil and brown the seasoned beef strips. Transfer to a slow cooker.

Mix bouillon cube with hot water until dissolved, then mix in cornstarch until dissolved. Pour into the slow cooker with meat. Stir in onion, green peppers, stewed tomatoes, soy sauce, sugar, and salt.

Cover, and cook on High for 3 to 4 hours, or on Low for 6 to 8 hours.

1 comment:

  1. Just made this. The flavor is superb!! I will use this recipe from now on for my pepper steak!! Everyone ate up on it and no leftovers!

    ReplyDelete