Sunday, July 28, 2013

#1, 032: Banana Oatmeal Breakfast Muffins


This summer I have been trying to eat and follow a Paleo diet/lifestyle.  I did great the first 30 days but the last few weeks have been tough.  I've been eating a little more cheese, a few bites of carbs, a little sugar...you see where this is going? 

One of my biggest challenges is breakfast.  I need quick, filling, easy recipes to prepare and egg casseroles are not cutting it.  Neither is eating leftovers.  I just want a granola bar.  So I made these clean eating Banana Oatmeal Breakfast Muffins in hopes of finding that breakfast item that I can just "grab and go." 

Back to the recipe:
It is definitely easy to make.  I whipped these up while the kids were eating breakfast and let me tell you these smelled delicious as they were baking.  Maybe it's because I haven't eaten a baked good in long while.

Here's my first tip.  Keep an eye on these.  :)  I set the timer and walked away and when the timer went off these were BROWN.  Dark brown.  (As you can see in the photo above).  These are also a little dense, but the kids loved them.  I seriously enjoyed them too.  I would make these again.    


I got 12 muffins out of this and with the ingredients I used, these came out to 2 ww+ pts each. 

2.5 cups old fashioned oats 
1 cup plain low fat Greek yogurt (I used non-fat)
2 eggs (I used egg substitute)
1/2 cup honey (I used 1/8 cup natural cane turbinado sugar)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp ground flax seed
1 tsp vanilla
2 ripe bananas 

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray tin with non-stick cooking spray or line 12 muffin tins with silicone or foil liners.

Place the oats in the food processor and pulse for about 10 seconds.  Add remaining ingredients to the food processor. 


Process until everything is mixed together and oats are smooth.
Divide batter among cupcake liners, and bake for 18-20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.

Let them cool on a wire rack for just a few minutes and then enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment