Monday, July 29, 2013

#1,038: Garlic Rubbed Roasted Cabbage Steaks


I'll be totally honest, I had very low expectations for these cabbage steaks.  I like cabbage and I eat coleslaw, but when I eat or make things like stuffed cabbage leaves, I often leave the cabbage on my plate.  This recipe is totally different.  You know how fresh grilled onions have a nice carmel-y flavor to them.  That's what these did.  They taste a lot like grilled onions.  Don't judge me, but I added some crumbled bacon to these (only because I had some leftover and thought it would be better to eat it with a veggie than on its own!) and they were even more wonderful. 

Here's the down side to this recipe.  It takes 45 min to 1 hour to make!  And they start to fall apart a little when you flip them.  But other than that, they are really, really good.  Cabbage is already on my grocery list for later in the week....
1 (approx 2lb) head of organic green cabbage, cut into 1″ thick slices
1.5 tablespoons olive oil
2 to 3 large garlic cloves, smashed
kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper
spray olive oil or non-stick cooking spray

Preheat oven to 400F and spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Pull outer leaves off cabbage, cut cabbage from top to bottom (bottom being root) into 1″ thick slices.  Rub both sides of cabbage with smashed garlic.

Use a pastry brush to evenly spread the olive oil over both sides of the cabbage slices.  Finally, sprinkle each side with a bit of kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper.  Roast on the middle rack for 30 minutes. Carefully flip the cabbage steaks and roast for an additional 30 minutes until edges are brown and crispy. Serve hot.

3 comments:

  1. Nice to see you used your own photo and a good review of what to expect. I have been looking for a good source to see this recipe that is all over facebook. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the nice feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too saw this on Facebook and looked for a link with a picture I could pin. Thanks for sharing it here!

    ReplyDelete