Monday, July 9, 2018

#2,736: Grilled Shrimp

I was trying some new recipes this weekend and going out of my comfort zone of cooking anything in the beef family.  LOL  I will usually at least try a bite of everything I make, but I just couldn't try this one.  Unless my fish is battered and deep fried (or unless my mom makes me!), I really have a hard time trying fish. I just don't love it.  And the thought of biting these big guys kind of scared me.  Shockingly we got the 9 year old to try it though.  Those who did eat these grilled shrimp loved them and said it was the best meal I made over the weekend AND have asked for it to return to our labor day menu as well.  I'd say that was a success!  This is the recipe/seasoning I used to make these shrimp.  

1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (use 1/4 if sensitive to spice)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon freshly-squeezed lemon juice (from about 1/2 small lemon)
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined (use jumbo, 15-18 count shrimp to cook directly on the grill without skewers; if using smaller shrimp, skewer then cook for less time)
Canola or vegetable oil for the grill

Preheat an indoor grill pan or outdoor grill to high. 

In a large mixing bowl, stir together the garlic powder, salt, Italian seasoning, and cayenne pepper. Drizzle in the olive oil and lemon juice and stir into a paste (mine was a bit thinner than a paste.  I was able to pour it onto the shrimp). 

Add the shrimp and toss to coat. 

Brush the grill or grill pan with canola oil. Grill the shrimp, just until pink and opaque, about 2 to 3 minutes per side, turning once half way through (discard the extra liquid/spices that is left at the bottom of the bowl). Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment