Monday, July 30, 2018

#2,656: Cucumber Tomato Salad


With the abundance of cucumbers and early tomatoes that I currently have growing in my garden, I knew I wanted to find a recipe to use them in when we were heading over to my in-laws for dinner.  I know his family isn't the biggest veggie fans, so I figured I'd probably be the only one eating it, but that's ok!  This is really good the day you make it!  I tried eating leftovers the next day and I wasn't nearly as impressed because the veggies start to get a little soft (obviously).  I think this would be kind of good with tortilla chips too...if you dice the cucumbers small enough.  I omitted the cheese cubes because I knew that wouldn't last more than for just that meal (soggy cheese...yuck!).  

DRESSING:
1/2 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/4 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
2 Clove Garlic Minced
2 Teaspoon Dried Italian Seasoning
1 Teaspoon Sugar
1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper

SALAD
3 English Cucumbers Thinly Sliced
1 Teaspoon Salt
2 Cups Grape Tomatoes Cut in Half
2 Cups Mozzarella Cut Into Small Cubes
1 Cup Red Onions Thinly Sliced

In a small bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients. Set aside.
In a large bowl, toss the sliced cucumbers with 1 teaspoon salt, then allow to sit 1 hour at room temperature to "sweat". Drain off liquid.
Add tomatoes, mozzarella, onions and dressing to drained cucumbers and toss until ingredients are evenly coated. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour before serving. Adjust seasoning and serve. Store leftovers in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment