Friday, July 13, 2018

#2,646: Keto Waffles


I made these last night for the family for dinner and just kept telling them it was "healthy waffles" in hopes of them being more open to trying them.  The seriously question everything I put in front of them and are constantly asking "What's in these?!" before they even take a bite.  My youngest was convinced I put cauliflower in these.  HA! 

Here's the downfall to this recipe...I only got FIVE waffles out of this batch, so there was one for everyone.  I had to give them a bunch of fruit and bacon/sausage to make this a meal.  These are not crispy/crunchy waffles that normally come out of my waffle iron, and they are a bit flimsy so they were ripping into quarters as I tried to get them out.  With that said, my family actually ate and enjoyed these.  And I wouldn't let them drown these/use syrup (they probably would have liked them even more!)

When they were done, I asked the fam to rate these to get a better sense of what they really thought of them.  Here's there responses (I think the 6 year old might be confused!).  I was shocked that Brian liked these as much as he did.  Chloe really was hoping for regular/traditional waffles.  LOL

All in all, I would definitely make these again for my crew!  They have a bit of a sweetness to it with the coconut flour, and I used WAY less sugar than this called for, so adding more might have made them even better to this group.  We will have to see the next time I make this. 

5 eggs - medium separated
4 tbsp coconut flour
4 tbsp granulated sweetener of choice or more, to taste (I used 5 packets of stevia which wasn't even a full tablespoon)
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla
3 tbsp full fat milk or cream
1 stick of butter, melted

In a small bowl, whisk the egg whites until firm and form stiff peaks.  Set aside. 

In a second bowl, m
ix the egg yolks, coconut flour, sweetener, and baking powder.  Add the melted butter slowly, mixing to ensure it is a smooth consistency.  Add the milk and vanilla, mix well.

Gently fold spoons of the whisked egg whites into the yolk mixture. Try to keep as much of the air and fluffiness as possible.

Place about 1/2 cup of waffle mixture into the warm waffle maker to make one waffle. Cook until golden.  Repeat until all the mixture has been used.


No comments:

Post a Comment