Monday, July 2, 2018

#2,727: Leftover Frosting Cookies

So after I reused the leftover cake from my husband's grandmas 92nd birthday, I could NOT just throw away the frosting.  And I certainly didn't need to make myself sick eating it all.  So I went on a hunt to find a way to use up the frosting.  Clearly there had to be a recipe out there that uses leftover frosting!  I knew I couldn't just freeze it, and I couldn't use it on other baked goods (since it was already decorated), so I found a way to bake with it!  

Although these aren't the best (nor the sweetest) cookies I've ever had, they reminded us all of the ricotta cookies we make at Christmas, AND no one in my family objected to these, and they seemed to disappear quite quickly.  I made a glaze out of powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla, and dipped each cookie in the frosting before adding some sprinkles for color.  You will notice that the cookies have a little bit of a grey tint to it...that's because there was a little bit of leftover cake stuck to the frosting (obviously it's from the chocolate cake pieces!), so if you used plain leftover frosting, or actually got all of the cake pieces off your frosting, it probably would be a bit lighter/brighter/whiter.  :)

As I stated above, you would think these would be sickly sweet, but it really isn't.  So if you like less-sweet cookies, you might really, really enjoy these!  Personally, I think the glaze/colored sugar helps.  Also, I doubled the recipe below and I got four dozen cookies out of it.  


1/2 cup of leftover frosting
1 cup flour
1 large egg
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 F. Mix everything together.  Place 12 roughly even scoops of cookie dough on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.  Bake for 13 minutes or until the edges of the cookies are lightly browned. Cool on a cooling rack. 
For the glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
milk
splash of vanilla
sprinkles or colored sugar

In a small bowl slowly stir milk into the powdered sugar until it creates a glaze thin enough to be spread over the cookies (like maybe 1/8 cup). Dip the cooled cookies into the glaze, and then top with sprinkles/colored sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment