Monday, July 30, 2018

#2,658: Gluten Free Baked Mozzarella Sticks

You could totally make this non-gluten free, but I have been trying to avoid gluten for a few weeks now to see what effects it's having on my body.  So I made this with gf breadcrumbs, gf panko, and eggs.  I tried dipping it in almond meal first instead of flour like the original recipe suggested, but it wouldn't stick to the cheese so I just gave up (and saved that almond flour from being wasted!).  

I made these and made Brian try them...he was sure I did something weird to them...but he ate one anyway and liked it!  These are really good.  Like, really good.  Especially dipped in sauce.  But I have never met a mozzarella stick I didn't like.  Ha!  Obviously these are best served right away so the cheese is melty and it doesn't sieze back up as it cools.  I don't know if I'll make these all the time (too much in and out of the freezer for my liking), but for an occasional snack/treat, I'm all for it!  


12 sticks mozzarella string cheese
1 large egg
1/4 cup flour (I omitted)
1/4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs (I used gluten free breadcrumbs)
1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs (I used gluten free panko)
2 teaspoons parmesan cheese
1 Tablespoon dried parsley

Remove string cheese from the wrappers and cut cheese in half to give you 24 pieces. Freeze cheese until hard and frozen, about 30 minutes.

In three separate shallow dishes, place egg, flour and breadcrumbs, each in their own dish. Whisk egg. To breadcrumbs dish, add panko, parmesan and parsley.

Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray. 

Dip frozen cheese sticks in flour, shaking off excess, then into the egg, then coat with the crumbs. Repeat for each cheese stick, placing them on the lined baking sheet. Freeze on sheet at least 15 minutes, or until ready to bake (this is a must or they will melt before the crumbs get golden).

When ready to bake, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Arrange oven rack in the bottom third of your oven. (I just baked mine on the top rack and then turned the broiler on at the end). 

Bake 4 to 5 minutes, turn sticks over, and bake an additional 4-5 minutes, watching sticks closely so they don't melt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment