Tuesday, July 31, 2018

#2,670: Kung Pao Cauliflower (GF)

I eat a lot of cauliflower in this house, so I was excited to give this recipe a try.  Although I'll admit, when it said to cook it for less than 10 minutes (total), I knew this was going to be too crunchy for my liking.  So I cooked it a little longer and even then when it was done, I put a lid on it to let it keep steaming a little longer.  It's still got a bit of a crunch, but it's not as hard as I think it was supposed to be.  If you like crunchy cauliflower though, then follow the recipe exactly.

By the way, I loved this!  I think using a heartier nut (like cashews as the recipe suggests or walnuts like I had on hand) give this a nice crunch and texture.  I even really enjoyed the leftovers the next day (cold of course since that's how I eat a lot of my leftover food).  


1 large cauliflower head, cut into small floret pieces
1 red pepper, diced
1 yellow pepper, diced (I didn't have any so I just omitted...3 peppers seemed like a lot anyways!)
1 orange pepper, diced
1 tbsp ginger, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
5 scallion, cut 2” in lengths
1/3 cup raw cashews (I used slivered almonds and some walnut pieces since that's what I had on hand)
1 tsp pepper flakes, optional
2 tbsp olive oil
1 lb rice noodles (any other type of noodles will work) (I omitted)

For the sauce
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 tbsp tomato ketchup
4 tbsp coconut aminos (that seemed like a lot so I used 3 tbsp) 
2 tbsp unrefined sugar (I used swerve sugar substitute and only used 1 tbsp)
1/4 cup water
3 tsp arrowroot powder, or cornstarch

Since I didn't serve over noodles, I omitted this step...obviously. Cook noodles according to package instructions. Mix the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.

In a large non-stick skillet, over medium heat, place the olive oil over medium to high heat. Add the cauliflower, and cook stirring occasionally for 5 minutes until the cauliflower as cooked a bit. It will not be cooked fully through, as you will add it later on with the other veggies. Take the cauliflower out into a large plate and set aside. (I just kept mine in the pan and added the peppers to it)

Add the diced peppers to the skillet. Cook for 3 minutes. Add the cauliflower back to the skillet and cook with the peppers stirring occasionally for another 5 minutes until the veggies are almost cooked through but not mushy. 

Add the garlic, ginger and cashews and cook further for 2 minutes. At this point add the sauce to the skillet and cook for 1 minute over high heat or until thickened. Add the spring onions and serve over the noodles while still warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment