Monday, July 2, 2018

#2,726: Leftover Cake Truffles


A few days ago we celebrated my husband's grandma's 92nd birthday!  I hope I look as good as she does at 92!  Grandma H is the sweetest lady, and we love being able to spend time with her.  After the party, my inlaws sent us home with the leftover cake (half chocolate and half white cake).  Although we LOVE cake, I knew realistically I'd probably end up eating most of it myself (lord knows the kids don't need any more sugar.  HA!).  I debated about freezing it but was afraid it would ruin the buttercream frosting.  I debated about tossing it, but that caused too much guilt, so I decided to search for a recipe that I could use leftover cake in.  Enter leftover cake truffles!  I did a bunch of searching on pinterest and Google and just decided to wing this one.  SO.... here's this super simple way of using your leftover cake.  And don't toss that frosting...I found a way to reuse/repurpose that too!  :)   

First, you need to cut (or scrape) the frosting off your cake.  If you put your cake in the fridge for a while, you can literally just cut it off in large pieces.  

In a food processor (you could use a fork or your hands, but the food processor was WAY easier and less messy!), add your leftover (unfrosted) cake pieces.  Here's the tricky part, once the cake is all crumbly, add a little bit of frosting (like start with enough frosting that you would have cut off the top of one PIECE of cake (maybe about 2-3 tablespoons)).  Keep adding a tiny bit more until the cake literally forms into a ball. 

Using a cookie scoop (or your hands and just eyeball it), roll the cake mixture into ping pong (or a little smaller) size balls.  Place on a wax paper lined cookie sheet and freezer for about 2 hours.  (I just left mine in overnight until I ran out and got melting chocolate). 

Since my cake was half chocolate and half white cake (which pretty much turned out being just chocolate in the end!!), I used white chocolate for the coating, but you could use any flavor/kind that you want.  Plus I knew I wanted to decorate these for the 4th of July so white just made sense.  Dip your frozen cake balls into melted chocolate (this is my go-to brand when I need to melt chocolate because there is no mess at the end and I know I can't screw it up!), and then top with desired sprinkles/colored sugar/etc.  Thankfully I put an APB call out to my mother-in-law who dropped off red, white, and blue colored sugar and sprinkles for me to use!  I didn't think red and green cake balls would be as good of an option this time of year.  


No comments:

Post a Comment